Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Jane Austen Festival!

This is absolutely my favourite picture from the entire festival. Matti's Millinery & Costumes and Pride in Parasols.

I just realized yesterday that I hadn't blogged about the Jane Austen Festival yet - but I have so many pictures from it! It was a lot of fun, and not as hot as I expected.

Last time Kenny and I went to this festival was three years ago. I've wanted to go since, but it just never worked out. Turns out, it has gotten more popular over the past few years! The ball and all the workshops were totally booked up when I registered (literally 24hr after registration opened). Fortunately, I put myself on a couple waitlists and was able to get into two workshops: Netting a Reticule with Tim Nealeigh, and I Take Pen in Hand with Brian Allison.

Both workshops were well worth the pennies - the netting was HARD. But cool. It is super satisfying to learn a challenging new skill. Afterward I enjoyed combing over the construction of Kenny's costume with Mr. Nealeigh, who knows his stuff. Mr. Allison's workshop was almost like an educational lecture + pen-making skills; he shared a lot of great information and history behind quill pens, how they were made, and a few fun historical anecdotes to help all the info stick. Definitely looking forward to next year's workshops, as the ones this year were excellent!

There were some lovely vendors, and it was fun to see everybody's booths.


Flying Hearts Millinery was there, with a tent full of beautifully crisp white caps. I so wanted to snap one up, but am still waffling about how a cap will look on my (lack of) hair.

There were also some lovely forms as well as decorated bonnets at Virgil's Fine Goods - this black and tan straw poke caught my eye. Next year, I'm snapping up a bonnet! Or I'll learn to make one between now and then. Headwear is on the list.




Dames a la Mode was there, sharing a tent with RedThreaded. She had an array of mourning jewelry in honor of the theme this year (which was mourning, to honor the bicentennial of Jane Austen's death on July 18.) I snagged myself a pair of beautiful deep olive earrings.

I am not acquainted with this lovely lady, but her look was en pointe. 


Daniel Boone Trading Post had lots of accessories like scissors, glasses, cameos, and shoes. At the Friday Night Twilight shopping event, I picked up a giant kerchief from this tent, which I styled for my working class look on Sunday.



Reproduction canes at Amazon Dry Goods. That one in the middle features a hidden compass and glass vial!

Bingley's Teas featured at the festival tea services, and was delicious as ever. Marianne's Wild Abandon was the fave.
LBCC was there with a great many beauty and apothecary items. I ALMOST came away with some blush, but decided to ponder on it a little longer. Kind of regretting that, should have picked it up there instead of waiting to pay shipping on it!


I wore a new white striped voile gown, which will be blogged about later, over my new Bernhardt stays (which held up admirably! They were super comfortable, I didn't really notice them after a while.) 


Lady Caroline Linnington gave a couple of an excellent and informative lectures about mourning customs and attire during the early 19th century - I learned a great many things I had never heard of before. The educational value at this festival was wonderful this year - I am already looking forward to next year's events! 


Of course, my Kenny Dean came with me and carried my basket of whatnot through the hot days. He was dapper and I find him immensely lovely for trooping through the weekend in costume with nary a complaint. (Although he said he would appreciate having buttonholes on his jacket next time - they STILL haven't been completed. This tailcoat is a long-term UFO.)




Finally - my swag! I came home with a pair of earrings from Dames a la Mode, the afore-mentioned head-kerchief from Daniel Boone, and this lovely busk from RedThreaded (a collab between Redthreaded and Festive Attyre.)



1 comment:



  1. الخدمات المنزلية بمدينة القطيف من شركة تاج 0551844053 شركة تسليك مجارى بالقطيف
    شركة تاج لتسليك المجارى بالقطيف 0551844053 والتى تعتمد على الخبرات والادوات المثالية اللازمه لعملية التسليك مع شركة تاج لتسليك المجارى سوف تتخلص من كل هذه الاضرار لاننا يوجد لدينا امهر العمال فى تسليك المجارى باحدث الاجهزة واقل التكاليف وخدمه ممتازة مقدمة على اعلى مستوى من الخبرة والمهارة والدقه العالية يسعدنا دائما ان نلبى رغبة عملائنا الكرام
    ومن الخدمات المقدمة بمدينة القطيف ايضا ومنها :
    شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف سجاد بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف شقق بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف فلل بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف مجالس بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقطيف
    شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالقطيف
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف

    ReplyDelete